Skip to main content

Procrastination

This essay was made for an assignment for Sustainable Electric Engineer Course at KTH



It is a common thing that people do tasks based on their justification of urgency. I usually do that too. However, sometimes, I have a bias in the way I evaluate my priority. It doesn’t mean that I purposely delay things I have to do; I do it unconsciously, thinking this might be a priority when actually it’s less critical. After reading the “How to Beat Procrastination” article[1], I realized that practising calculated procrastination results in myself cramming before the deadline. That happens for study and other things sometimes; making a priority scale is not always accurate. Procrastination is not only putting me under stress, unsatisfactory results, it also makes me less enjoying the process of doing something due to the limited amount of time still exists.

 

Before I came to KTH, I had a beautiful plan to read all the materials needed before the classes and revisit them after the classes. However, my early time here was filled with the excitement of being in Sweden, and I forgot my initial priority. I visited too many places and just realized how I procrastinated after assignments and exams were coming stressing me out. Then, I tried to be more diligent than before, but it seems it is not yet enough. I still end up doing my assignments more and barely preparing before the classes. Writing this essay also makes me reflect; probably there is something wrong with my time management, my method of learning, or I lack focus while doing my tasks, too many distractions; movies, the internet, Instagram, and other addictive activities. Actually, I started to stop my Netflix subscription and put away my phone until I could finish a specific task, which was really helping. Another method I’ve been practising recently, is that instead of doing a task based on only the deadline merit, I add another aspect: do the easiest task first. Once I finish something, it boosts my confidence to do the next more difficult thing; at least, this helps me stay motivated. And increase my focus is still a learning process for me now; I need to continuously practice to stay focused on finishing something. My homework is to be able preparing before the class and can do assignments earlier.

 

Like I mentioned before, the internet has changed the way I study and do things overall. I still remember when I was a kid without a phone; I enjoyed reading novels and magazines. I could focus on reading and diving into my imagination without any distractions. After I had my first phone, everything changed. And now, every single notification that pops up on my phone becomes a distraction. Too much information, too many sources, too much media sometimes hinder me for real. I will admit that the internet makes looking for information is so effective and fast, but it also makes me not used to reading thoroughly once I find a particular point. Social media should be a medium to get in touch with families and relatives, but it has become such a time-consuming agent for society. At the beginning of my time here, I started to limit my social media and internet activities and put my phone in silent mode to focus on studying or working on an assignment. That decision makes it easier for me now to focus without my phone. Thanks to the six parallel courses during this period, those really help me increase my productivity and appreciate leisure time with more meaningful things such as doing my hobbies or talking to my families.

References

[1]      lukeprog, “How to Beat Procrastination,”https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/RWo4LwFzpHNQCTcYt/how-to-beat-procrastination, Feb. 2011.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pengalaman Mengikuti Short Course Australia Awards "Renewable Energy Technology & Policies"

Tim Australia Awards Short Course Renewable Energy Technology & Policies 2018 Australia Awards Indonesia yang merupakan program beasiswa dari Pemerintah Australia untuk masyarakat Indonesia bukan hanya memiliki Long Term Awards program untuk pendidikan master, namun juga memiliki program Short Term Awards untuk mengikuti pelatihan singkat dengan topik-topik tertentu. Pada tahun 2018, saya memiliki kesempatan untuk mengikuti program Short Course dalam bidang energi terbarukan bersama 20 peserta terpilih lain dari seluruh Indonesia (terutama dari Indonesia Timur). Program Short Course ini terdiri dari 3 fase dengan total durasi 8 bulan, yaitu : Precourse di Indonesia (kurang lebih 3 hari) Kunjungan ke Pembangkit Listrik Tenaga Bayu Jeneponto Precourse untuk mempersiapkan keberangkatan ke Australia, disana kita mendapatkan informasi mengenai jadwal acara, universitas dan institusi tempat kita akan belajar, akomodasi, kultur budaya di Australia, dan yang paling p...

Motivations and Expectations of Study at Electric Power Engineering KTH

This essay was made for Sustainable Electric Power Engineer assignment at KTH           Coming from Indonesia, an archipelago country with more than 17,000 islands, I see different challenges on electricity generations and distributions faced by my country. Indonesia has achieved a 98.86% electrification ratio since 2019, but regional disparities of electricity access are still happening. Many electrified regions, especially in Eastern Indonesia, have not had access to 24 hours electricity [1]; this impedes the development of other sectors such as economic, education, or health.  Therefore, I am motivated to pursue a career in the energy sector to take part in improving the life quality of many Indonesian citizens by providing more reliable energy access for society. By studying in the Electric Power Engineering [2] program in KTH, I wish to have a solid understanding of the electrical system, its operation and planning that will be beneficial to dev...

Cerita di Bawah Langit Senja Pulau Nyamuk

Pernahkah engkau melihat hamparan laut biru yang begitu luas dengan kerlap-kerlip airnya terpapar sinar matahari ? Bagaikan kristal-kristal permata biru yang begitu indah, gemericik arus laut dengan ombak yang begitu tenang telah membuatku jatuh cinta pada lautan ini saat pertama kali menaiki kapal dari Pulau Karimunjawa menuju Pulau Nyamuk. Bisa dibilang ini adalah pengalaman pertama bagi saya menaiki kapal kecil untuk membelah lautan, tak urung para perempuan anggota Tim KKN Pulau Nyamuk menjerit-jerit dalam perjalanan setiap kali kapal mengalami guncangan-guncangan yang belum biasa kami rasakan, meskipun pada akhirnya guncangan ombak telah menjadi hal yang biasa kami alami selama KKN di Pulau Nyamuk. Ketika kapal yang engkau tumpangi semakin mendekati Pulau Nyamuk, maka akan bisa dilihat lautan dangkal yang begitu bening dan bersih. Dan dapatkah anda lihat, ikan-ikan karang warna-warni yang seolah-olah melompat di antara rerumputan dan karang, anemon laut yang melambai-lambai...